Here is a list of Bibles which are in "Easier English".
1. The Bible in Basic English: This was published by an English University, but the copyright has run out, and it may be out of print. It is available on the basic ONLINE CD-ROM from the Online people. The Bible in Basic English is part of their cheapest $9.95 [US] CD-ROM Bible Computer Program which is a super buy containing several Bible Versions in a good Windows program, with many, many extras thrown in.
2. The "New Life Version" Bible: This was translated by Gleason Ledyard. He started to translate the Bible into English for Canadian Eskimos in the far north using "Basic English" as his guide. The complete Bible has now been translated into very easy English. This is probably the easiest English translation available. Look for it in a large Christian bookstore, or they tell us for better prices check directly with them. [This is also an excellent choice for anyone who is learning English!] There are eight different editions available from a large print New Testament to a full Bible in Economy edition or Bonded leather edition, etc. Write: Christian Literature International at P.O. Box 777, Canby, OR 97013, OR Phone: (503)266-9734, Fax. (503) 266-1143 or Order Only: 1-800-324-9734. Go to their Web Site: www.newlifebible.org, or Email them at: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. New International "Reader's" Version: This version has a reading level of only grade 2.9. It is translated by the International Bible Society group, and is a very special version in easy English. Most large Christian bookstores carry the "NIrV" Version, as it is called. You can order one directly from the International Bible Society of Canada, P.O. Box 40590, 1295 North Service Rd. Burlington, ON. L7P 3N8 or phone: 1-800-530-0223 to order.
OR- one of the fastest ways to get this version is to go to Christianbook.com [www.christianbook.com] and enter NIrV version into their search by title, at the top of the page. They have various editions all discounted: adult, children's, etc., and are an excellent online Bible store!
4. The "English Version for the Deaf" published by Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, MI. This version has been especially translated for the deaf. The plan was to have a version which could be interpreted quickly into "American Sign Language". The forward in the version says: "The translators have learned to appreciate the unique thought patterns of the deaf person's mind and to respect the intricate structure of his independent language." It is also available from online from Amazon Books but is quite expensive: Go to the Amazon Web site: [www.amazon.com] We really recommend the NIrV in # 3 above if you are price conscious!
TO SEE A SIDE-BY-SIDE COMPARISON OF THESE FOUR VERSIONS (# 1 - 4 above)
SIDE-BY-SIDE BIBLE COMPARISON
5. OTHER USEFUL VERSIONS AVAILABLE AT MOST CHRISTIAN BOOKSTORES:
*ICV- "International Children's Version": Grade 3.9
*NCV- "New Century Version": Grade 5.6 (very similar to the ICV)
*CEV- "Contemporary English Version" by the American Bible Society: Grade 5.4 It is also distributed and printed by Thomas Nelson Publishers.
6. AND ..... JUST FOR YOUR COMPARISON, THE HARDER ENGLISH VERSIONS:
*NIV- New International: Grade 7.8
*LB- Living Bible: Grade 8.3
*NKJV- New King James Version: Grade 9.1
*NRSV- New Revised Standard Version: Grade 10.4
*NASB- New American Standard Version: Grade 11.3
*KJV- The (old) King James Version: Grade 12
Use the "Back Button" to Return to the Last Page or