WHAT IF YOU HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE?
** REMEMBER: YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
If you have high blood pressure, or hardening of the Arteries, it usually means that your Arteries have "cholesterol" (a fatty-like substance) in them, and maybe some calcium, etc., too. These things are like the plugging of your home water pipes. As the water can't properly get through the pipes, so "plugged arteries" don't let the blood go through properly, & so the "PRESSURE" goes up to try and get enough blood to your body!
** WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE HARDENING OF THE ARTERIES?
There are many reasons: eating too much "cholesterol", too much fat in things like butter, pastries, cream, margarine, etc.. Other causes are: too much stress, smoking, too much weight, and not enough exercise.
** WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT STROKES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, ARTERY & HEART PROBLEMS:
1. Be under a Doctor's care, BUT-- Pills are not enough, you must work to change the things that MADE YOU GET SICK!
2. Cut out the hard fats (as far as possible): butter, shortening, & the fat on your meat, etc. Use oils instead of hard fats for cooking, and then try to use as little oil as possible, too, for it is still a fat! You may wish to "fry" with the non-stick pans that require little or no oil. If you use a little margarine, use the soft types, which contain more of the better "oils". And, then use very little.
3. Use less salt. Most of us eat much too much salt. Using too much salt can be a serious factor in high blood pressure! Remember to count the salt used in prepared foods!
4. Use foods that are low in fats-- especially in vegetables and grains. Use lots of fresh fruits and vegetables-- some of them raw.
5. Eat foods that have little or no "cholesterol". Cut out the Yolks of the eggs, butter & cream. Use skimmed milk.
6. Learn to cook in a more "Natural Way". There are many excellent cook books that help you cook both tastefully & naturally! You can make "gravy" without fat!
7. Don't smoke-- get help if you need it, but you MUST STOP! Smoking appears to go along with a higher cholesterol level. It has been estimated that the average smoker will lose about 7 minutes of life for each cigarette smoked!
8. Try to lower your total stress. Relax more, slow down a little so you don't have to push yourself.
9. If over-weight- slowly lose weight- you put it on slowly, so use a sensible plan that you can enjoy for a long time [check our weight loss ideas]
10. EXERCISE: walk & walk! But start carefully -- under your Doctor's direction! It takes time for the body to adjust, but the exercise will help you develop a better circulation.
*** NOW SOME EXTRA GOOD NEWS !
The American Heart Association had recommended cutting the total dietary fat level down to 30%. However, they have found that if the fat level is cut drastically, that there can be not just a slowing of the progress of hardening of the arteries, but an actual REVERSAL OF HARDENING OF THE ARTERIES. If you are interested in how this works, the inexpensive little book "REVERSING HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE NATURALLY" by Dr.'s Hans Diehl, & Aileen Ludington, can be a real help to you. It is available from: The Quiet Hour, Box 3000, Redlands, CA 92373
RETURN TO THE HEALTH SECTION
Use the "Back Button" to Return to the Last Page or