"THE BENEFITS" OF QUITTING SMOKING
Dr. Antonia Novello wrote about:
THE HEALTH BENEFITS of Quitting Smoking!
1. After an ex-smoker stays off cigarettes for 15 years, the risk of death returns to nearly the level of people who never smoked.
-Heart Disease drops by 50% after just 1 year.
-Lung Cancer drops 30-50 % by 10 years after stopping
-Ex-smokers have less days of sickness, fewer health problems and better over-all health
2. Smokers who quit between ages 35-39:
-Men add an average of 3 years to their lives
-Women an average of 3 years
Smokers who quit at ages 65-69 years: Still can Add 1 full year to their lives
3. Average Weight Gain: ONLY 5 LBS. Weight can be controlled by limiting the strong cravings for food with small pieces of fruit or vegetables instead of sugary and fatty foods, drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day, and walking 30 min. a day.
4. Trying to quit more than once:
-2/3rd's of smokers say they would like to quit
-19% have never tried to quit
-Each year hundreds of thousands quit successfully
-Only 10% of those who try to quit are successful the first try -- don't give up, try again!
-With a good stop smoking program, 20-40% are able to quit smoking and stay off for at least 1 yr.
"THE GLOBE AND MAIL" ADDS OTHERS ITEMS ABOUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN --
AFTER THE LAST PUFF:
* 20 MINUTES AFTER QUITTING: blood pressure and pulse rate drop to normal while the temperature of the hands and feet return to normal.
* AFTER EIGHT HOURS: the carbon monoxide level of the blood returns to what it should be.
* AFTER 24 HOURS: the chances of a heart attack (hastened) by smoking start to sharply reduce
* AFTER 72 HOURS: the bronchial tubes in the lungs relax and you can get more air into your lungs
* AFTER 2 WKS. - 3 MONTHS: the circulation and the ability to breath right both improve, and exercise becomes easier.
* AFTER 1 - 9 MONTHS: coughing decreases, the energy level goes up, and the cilia (the little hairs) in the wind-pipe start to regrow
* AFTER 5 - 10 YEARS: the circulation does a major repair job and the chances of dying from lung cancer drop drastically
* AFTER 10 YEARS: "Pre-cancerous cells" in the lungs are gradually replaced by healthy cells, and the risk of lung cancer drops to close to that of a non-smoker. The risk of all cancer goes down!
RETURN TO THE MAIN HEALTH SECTION
Use the "Back Button" to Return to the Last Page or